Monday, August 17, 2009

When did you lose it?

We went to the beach Friday. Fort Snelling Beach. It was a warm day and the kids love to play in the sand and water. It is a time that they play well with each other, play independently and we all play together. It is fun to be there and to watch them with such delight and envy. They both love to get wet and covered in sand. They dig tunnels, build little castles, run around and knock everything down.

As I sit and watch I ponder thoughts of being dirty and when it was that I stopped playing like that. I find myself stopping them as they excitedly run towards me... "Careful, don't get sand on the blanket. Hey, I don't want to get wet..." And I wonder, why not? What is a little sand and water... or even a lot?? We are at the beach?! What if I got down there in the water and sand with her? Would the everyday worries and stress get lost, could I let go?
I've not yet allowed myself to do this but am thinking I need to give it a try. It's too easy to get caught up in the uptight worries of sand in the car, in their seats, etc.
This particular day was ruined by just that. Me running around upset trying to get them cleaned up, while they just laughed and got dirty again. Of course I felt like they were laughing at me when they were just enjoying themselves and finding the lightness in life I often lose. In that moment it is often difficult to see this, but they taught me something that I was able to hold onto the next time we went. Let go, breathe, laugh and have fun. It's just sand!

So, who knows, it might not be long before I am down in the ponds of water and sand, digging, laughing and dirty as can be!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Ruth said...

I always love reading your comments about yourself and the children. I so enjoy seeing the pictures of the kids enjoying themselves no matter what it is they are doing. It's true - if only we could be more like them at times, it might make things easier for us. Love you much! Ruth

5:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home